I've been making smoothies non-stop these past few weeks. Maybe it's in anticipation of all the ripe late spring and summer fruits that will soon be in the markets. But lately my breakfasts have been looking more like the smoothie above instead of this or this. And that's a very good thing.
Until blueberries are in season, I'm making do with the the frozen kind. Frozen berries can often be too bland, so I was pretty happy to come across these, from Stahlbush Island Farms in Oregon. They're incredibly plump and tasty for frozen berries, plus the packaging is biodegradable to boot. Win win.
Adding oatmeal to smoothies is a great way to get a filling breakfast in a glass. Instead of putting the oatmeal straight into the blender, I like to soak them for about 20 minutes beforehand just to soften them up. You can skip this step, but I find that a bit of soaking makes the smoothie less gritty.
And in the summer, you can use the same steps below for fresh berries, only freeze the banana beforehand to get the same refreshing breakfast shake.
Come to think of it, I may just make another one for dessert right now.
Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 small banana, broken into 3 or 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a small bowl, combine the rolled oats with 1/2 cup of the almond milk. Stir and let the oats soak for 20 minutes.
- In a blender, combine the oats and almond milk mixture, the remaining 1/2 cup of almond milk, the blueberries, banana, Greek yogurt, and honey. Blend until smooth, transfer to a tall glass, and serve.